Procrastination is your unwanted companion.
Try this new way to get 3 hours of productivity, which includes breaks.
Sit down to work and produce!
Distractions destroy your productivity. It is hard to concentrate and stay focused when the mind wanders. Squirrel!
Anyone who has ever met me knows that I strive to learn best time management practices. While different things work for different people, many practices have not worked well for me. Even something that started out strong lost effectiveness over time.
I’m attempting a useful new time management practice and invite you to try it.
Once you’ve figured out your available time blocks to work during the week, write them down. Here’s how to make the most out of a 3 hour time block when you’re stuck with a short attention span.
First: Get rid of the greatest the distractions
- Phone: silent or off.
- Email: closed.
- Door: closed.
- Social media notifications, whatever beeps, bleeps, peeps, rings or signals, put it away with the volume down. Advanced: Try putting your phone in another room.
Second: Set a timer
There are timers online, your smartphone, an egg timer. You can even use the microwave timer if you need to.
Once you’re ready to start, set the timer to 30 minutes. No more!!
Third: practice a little discipline. It’s only for 30 minutes
Why is this effective? It’s effective because you’re going to take a forced break for 5 minutes once your 30 minutes of work are up.
Your 30 minute is not a long time. So don’t stop working!
You know a break is coming fast.
Fourth: When the timer rings, you must take a break
- Stand up.
- Get up and get the heart moving. Do a few stretches.
- Use the bathroom.
- Grab your water/tea/coffee/whatever your poison
- You should be able to do this all within 5 minutes.
- Set a timer to be aware of your break time.
Fifth: Rid the clutter occupying your mind
- Before you start again, clear your mind.
- Grab a post-it notepad and write all the things that are on your mind; 1 item per sheet.
- Then stick each sheet on the wall beside you until your mind is free and clear to start again.
- If something is bugging you while you’re in the middle of the 30 minutes. Fine! Write it on the notepad and stick it to the wall. You’ll deal with it later and get it off your mind now.
Now rinse and repeat. Put 30 more minutes on the timer.
Catherine Saykaly-Stevens of TheNetworkingWeb.com is an author, speaker, and trainer; a social media Consultant who specializes in Audience Growth and Extraordinary Fan-Engagement.
She mentors entrepreneurs, authors, speakers, and coaches on how to grow their fan-engagement deepening their connection to their community to ultimately lead to audience growth, influence building, and sales conversions.
She does that with one-on-one consulting and the Social Media Quick Results Programs.
Catherine is also on the Social Media team of the Evolutionary Business Council (EBC) with a collective reach of 250 Million people and is the co-host of two online shows: ‘EBE-Live’ and ‘Social Buzz U’. She is also the Social Media Expert in residence for the Canadian Authors Association (CAA).
Read more by Catherine: