It always saddens me when I hear the statistics on book sales for authors. Publishers Weekly recently stated that the average author will sell 3,000 books in a lifetime, and in their first year, that is only about 250-300 books! YIKES!
That is not good news for the morale or bank account of authors. However, we have some solutions to help you break past those book selling statistics and put more of your books into the hands of readers around the world.
At Raise a Dream, we help authors, speakers, coaches, and entrepreneurs turn their message into a movement and raise their dreams. One such dream of authors is becoming a best-selling or award-winning author who sells LOTS of books.
Here are valuable book selling tips to help you raise your dream and get your message to more people…
Plan a comprehensive book launch. Remember, a book launch lasts long after the day the book is publicly released. Charmaine’s book launches have included these types of activities:
- Maintain a virtual blog about the book tour
- Pre-release media campaign (online radio shows, podcasts)
- Pre-sales on website and Amazon
- “Save the date” book release social media campaign
- Release party
- Best seller campaign
- Book reviews from readers/people who purchased book, people who reviewed book, and blogger reviews from the virtual blog and book tour
- Submitted book for reviews to book reviewers
- Submitted book for awards
- Creation of marketing materials (standing banner, bookmark, postcards, author one sheets, media sheets)
- Scheduled book signings (at bookstores, library, author groups, book clubs, networking groups)
- Created book website
- Created book Facebook page
- Promoted the launch via Facebook event pages
- Added the book to my LinkedIn profile with link to Amazon
- Put information about the book and a link to it on Amazon on my email signature
- Printed return address labels that had my book cover graphic and website
- Letters, emails, and flyers sent to libraries to order the book
- Letters, emails, and flyers sent to hospital gift stores, college and universities, and other stores where there was a fit for my book
- Scheduled speaking engagements and presentations
- Press release to local media (and put on online PR sites)
- Social media and traditional media campaign
- Bulk purchase of books promotion
- Used tips and quotes from my books for social media and the creation of memes
- Created video to share in social media
- Approach businesses, associations, and organizations who are a fit with your books topic to purchase small bulk quantity
So many authors put incredible time, energy, and resources into the book release and launch and then lose momentum 3 months afterwards. To sell books and break past the book sale statistics, the marketing and selling of books must be an ongoing activity for you as the author.
Books do not follow the old cliché “if you build it they will come.” Just because you write a book does not mean it will continue selling. Books continue selling because the author continues to market the book. So to raise that dream and sell more books, make sure you set aside time every day to promote, market, and sell more books.
Have You Built These Ten Marketing Actions Into Your Book Launches and Sales Plan? - Charmaine Hammond
Build Your List, Database, and Influence, Through Your Book Sales, Charmaine Hammond